With summer fruit coming into season, here is a delicious recipe to use them to make a dessert fit to impress!
You will need
4 free range egg whites
250g caster sugar – if you want a caramel tone to your meringue, make sure to you use Golden Caster sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp cornflower
A selection of summer fruit; I used cherries, raspberries and strawberries
250ml Double cream or lighter alternative
Grease proof paper or baking parchment
- Set the over to 300F 150C/130C fan/gas 2
- Separate the eggs, but thing the whites into a clean grease-free bowl
- With a electric mixer beat the whites until fluff
- Gradually add in the sugar a bit at a time trying to keep in as much volume as possible
- Finally, add in the cornflower and vinegar – this will give the meringue a chewy texture. The meringue should be glossy in texture, form firm peeks and not move when the bowl is turned upside down!
- Put your chosen paper onto the baking sheet and spoon out the meringue mix. I have chosen a rectangle, but you might want to pipe out a circle or other shape if you want a more formal look.
- Put the meringue into the oven on the middle shelf for an hour.
- Once the meringue is cooked take it out of the oven and leave to cool.
- In the meantime whisk the double cream – add in some vanilla extract and a little caster sugar to sweeten it up if you want. Wash the fruit and hull the strawberries. Make sure they are dry before assembling the Pavlova.
- Onto the meringue base spread the cream, then scatter the fruit. If you’re a wiz with spun-sugar you can decorate it using that. Alternatively (as I have done here) decorate with a few mint leaves and ENJOY!!!
Have a go and let me know what you think in the comments below.
Until next time…