Fed up with guzzling litres and litres of boring water in hot weather? With temperatures in excess of 30 degrees in my part of the UK, I’ve been looking at food alternatives for rehydration – that will also help with getting your 5 a day! Check out my list
- Watermelon – clues in the title right? But did you also know that Watermelon flesh contains 91 percent water. Not only that but it also contains a nutrient called lycopene that can help protect cells from sun damage!
- Spinach – instead of the standard iceberg lettuce in your favourite salads, why not try spinach also 91 per cent water. Spinach not on provides valuable rehydration but it’s a valuable source of vitamins A, B6, C and K, as well as nutrients, magnesium, zinc, iron and potassium, which we loose a lot of when we sweat!
- Cucumber – Whilst we’re talking salads, what about out old friend cucumber. Weighing in at a whopping 96 per cent water this salad staple hydrates and replenish your skin. In addition, cucumbers are rich in anti-inflammatory compounds that can help to remove waste from the body. Research suggests that cucumbers have anti-wrinkling and anti-ageing properties too!
- Strawberries – Traditionally associated with summer and in particular Wimbledon these little darlings (and my person top fruit) pack a punch when it comes to water content at 91 percent. But the benefits of strawberries go beyond just the water content; they provide a rich source of nutrients typically connected with improved cognitive function. With research suggesting that the consumption of more berries could delay cognitive aging by over 2 years!
- Celery – Who doesn’t like the crunch of a lovely green stick of celery – I love mine with peanut butter or marmite – but did you know that just 3 sticks of this 95 per-cent-water-containing-salad-staple provides the natural salts that aid the replenishment of sodium, potassium and magnesium lost in our sweat!
If you’re still keen to go down the water route, why not pimp it up a bit by combining fruit AND water? There’s loads of these water bottles around – see main pic – these days. I got this one from Amazon, but Wilko do a great one too! Fill the middle section with your fave fruit – I’ve used lemon and mint here – chill and drink!
Happy rehydrating… until next time.